Torre e fonte della Mencia
Thanks to the inscriptions engraved in a few bricks of the tower, we know that its construction dates back to 1537.
In the past, the clock on top, that still works, was activated manually and the ancient gear, a real engineering masterpiece, is nowdays hosted in the Museum Amos Cassioli.
The name of this civic tower derives from the fountain that was built at its feet: a giant stone mask representing Gorgon’s head, with swirling bronze snakes, that poured water for the passers by.
Even though the original fountain is hosted in Palazzo Corboli Museum, legend claims that whoever drinks at this fountain will sooner or later come back to Asciano.
Luciano Francini, Antonio Cinotti
Corso Giacomo Matteotti, Asciano (Siena).
Tel. +39 0577 714450
Mobile: +39 348 0847875