Monte Oliveto Maggiore
This magnificent abbey was founded in 1319 by three Sienese noblemen, that had decided to abandon luxury and wealth to retreat in solitude and live according the Benedictine rule.
Bernardo Tolomei, Patrizio Patrizi and Ambrogio Piccolomini chose a place where to start their new lives, an area known as “Acona”, a corner of the Crete senesi characterized by impressive and awesome gullies, where, as in the past, peace and tranquillity reign. .
Nowadays the abbey is still inhabited by Benedictine monks. It’s possible to visit the wonderful church, the great cloister with the very famous frescoes depicting the life of Saint Benedict (XVth – XVth century, begun by Luca Signorelli and finished by Antonio Bazzi known as Sodoma); the precious pharmacy, the rich library, the refectory and a suprising small museum; where important works of art are exhibited as some watercolours dated 1700s with views of the Abbey, a canvas donated to the monks by Luigi Mussini, Amos Cassioli’s teacher.
During a few liturgies (Mass, vespers, praises to God) it’s possible to listen to ancient Gregorian chants, traditionally attributed to Pope Saint Gregorius Magnus ( 540-604), still chanted by the monks of Monte Oliveto.
Luciano Francini, Antonio Cinotti, Massimiliano Roncucci, Francesco Giorni
Everyday 9.15 a.m. – 12 a.m. and 3p.m.-5p.m. In summer closing time is at 6p.m.
Monte Oliveto Maggiore,
53041 – Asciano (SI)
Tel. +39 0577 714450
Mobile: +39 348 0847875