Church of Saint Bernardino
This small stone church stands in all its sober harmony among the buildings of the village of Asciano, that encircle it on both sides.It’s been nown since the XIVth century when it was part of the now lost Hospitale S. Iohannis de Sciano, that stood next to it, and was partially demolished in1868 to construct the present Garibaldi Square.
The church was initially dedicated to Saint John, and the present name is attributed to the homonym lay company, that had taken care of the structure since the end of the 1700s.
Inside the church, on the main altar, used to be hosted the tablet of “ The name of Jesus”, perhaps realized by Saint Bernardino himself for his extremely famous sermons, now hosted in the Palazzo Corboli Museum.
Evidence of his presence is quite noticeable in the bas- relief siituated under the rose windo on the facade that shows Christ’s monogram IHS,the Saint’s emblem. This church, now privately owned, had hosted from 1953 to 2003, the archeological collection, then transferred to the Corboli Museum.
Not accessible. Only the outside of the church can be viewed.
Corso Giacomo Matteotti 45, Asciano (Siena).
Tel. +39 0577 714450
Mobile: +39 348 0847875